May 31, 2022
Improving Australians’ understanding of the benefits of vaccination is one of many achievements highlighted in the Academy’s recent report annual report 2021.
To support vaccination and other COVID-related health messages, in partnership with the Australian government, the Academy has created information for a wide audience through print, video, online articles and infographics on websites. web, media and social media, and supported international expert collaboration through a series of webinars. He also called for an RNA manufacturing capability in Australia and convened a national expert roundtable on RNA.
The Academy’s focus on climate change included calling attention to the risks to Australia from a warmer world and publishing a resource hub ahead of international meetings on climate change in October.
He also focused on improving diversity and inclusion in science, remained very active in international and bilateral science activities, and prepared a 10-year plan for space science ready for release in early 2022.
Its three innovative school education programs have received multi-year funding from the Australian Government to develop and expand educational resources and program reach.
“Every major issue that affects our society today relies on scientific input. We are a community that promotes international and national engagement in science, supports and celebrates scientific excellence, and we are a growing voice important to Australian science,” Academy President Professor John Shine said in his introduction to the report.
We are an increasingly important voice for Australian science.
The Academy’s chief executive, Anna-Maria Arabia, said the annual report demonstrates “how the Academy strives to valorize science and position it strategically to drive our economy and inform decision-making within and between governments, in our parliaments, our courts, our classrooms, in meeting rooms and in the public square”.
Both leaders thanked Academy Fellows for their contributions to science and their support of the Academy.
“In November, Academy Fellow Professor Eddie Holmes received the Prime Minister’s Prize for Science for his outstanding contributions to virology, including its impact on our understanding of COVID-19. Congratulations to Professor Holmes for this award and for his tireless commitment to research during the pandemic, and to all of our fellows who have received external awards and honours,” said Professor Shine.
Other accomplishments highlighted in the annual report include:
- organize an expert roundtable on the World Heritage Convention and climate change
- a call for forgiveness from Kathleen Folbigg based on recent solid scientific evidence
- the launch of a program of champions to support the implementation of the ten-year plan for nutrition
- a call on the NSW government to remove all feral horses from Kosciuszko National Park
- the launch of the STEM Women database to raise the profile of women in STEM
- organize or participate in 37 events in many scientific fields
- welcoming over 4.4 million visitors to Academy websites and publishing over 70 videos, many of which have been embedded in mainstream media articles
- make major improvements to the Academy’s heritage-listed buildings.
In 2021, the Academy published:
- a climate report on the risks to Australia from a warming world
- an updated brochure on vaccination aimed at a general audience
- a ten-year strategy for sustainable oceans and coasts
- a report identifying opportunities to advance data-intensive research in Australia
- a summary for policymakers on Australia’s digital future
- results of two expert roundtables
- a report on gender inequality in the STEM workforce in Asia-Pacific
- a Deloitte Access Economics report supporting the acceleration of the discovery and documentation of Australia’s remaining biodiversity.
“The work of the Academy continues to be a source of immense pride for me, made possible through the guidance and support of our scholars and the generosity of our donors,” said Ms Arabia.
#Academy #reports #achievements