Apple presented on Monday macOS Ventura, the latest version of the operating system that runs on Mac. Slated for release this fall, macOS Ventura is currently available to developers, so we thought we’d dive deep to show MacRumors drives all the new features that are in the update.
Our latest YouTube video highlights Stage Manager, FaceTime Handoff, Continuity Camera, and more, with a full list of what’s covered in the video available below.
- Mail – Mail offers smart search suggestions more relevant to what you’re looking for, and there are options to unsend an email, schedule an email, receive a reminder to reply to an email, and follow a message that you send that does not receive a response. Mail supports rich links and can warn you if you forget to add an attachment.
- Projector – Spotlight now supports previewing files with Quick Look (just press the spacebar) and includes rich results for contacts, actors, musicians, movies, TV shows, sports, etc. . You can also use Spotlight to search for text in images and search images by location, scenes, and image content. Spotlight can also perform tasks such as setting an alarm, activating a focus, or running a shortcut.
- Access keys – Apple aims to replace passwords with Passkeys, a next-generation authentication technology. Passkeys use a two-key system, with one key stored on the device and authenticated via Face ID and Touch ID. You’ll have one password per login, and passwords will sync across all your devices and be accessible on non-Apple devices as well. Access keys are nearly impossible to phish or steal, preventing unwanted access to online accounts.
- Shared tab groups – Safari tab groups can now be shared with friends or family members, so you can bookmark sites collaboratively to plan trips, work on projects, and more. Everyone has access to added tabs and tab groups are updated instantly for all participants.
- Manager – Stage Manager is a new multitasking feature that organizes your apps and windows into a single view so you can stay focused on your main app while quickly switching between apps as needed.
- FaceTime transfer – Handoff supports FaceTime, so you can start a FaceTime call on iPhone and transfer it to the Mac, and vice versa.
- Continuity Camera – With Continuity Camera, an iPhone can be used as a webcam for a Mac. It works seamlessly and offers cool features like special lighting and desktop view so you can show off what you’re doing on your desktop. It also supports Center Stage to keep you in frame as you move around the room.
- Redesigned system settings – System Preferences is now System Settings, and the design is more similar to the iOS Settings app. There’s a sidebar that lists all the available settings so it’s easier to get to what you need without switching between preferences.
- Clock and Weather apps – Apple introduced iOS Clock and Weather apps on Mac for the first time. The applications are identical to what is available on the iPhone and the iPad.
macOS Ventura is currently restricted to developers, but Apple plans to release a public beta in July. The operating system will see a public launch this fall.
Everything Apple announced at Keynote WWDC 2022 in 13 minutes
Apple held a keynote event on Monday which saw the introduction of iOS 16, iPadOS 16, macOS 13 Ventura, watchOS 9 and the new Apple M2 silicon chip, which will soon be available in the MacBook Air and the 13-inch MacBook. Pro. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. It was a crazy event where Apple introduced feature after feature for nearly two hours straight. For those who…
Here are all the macOS Ventura features your Intel Mac won’t support
Apple’s public release of macOS Ventura is slated for October, but given how many features of macOS Monterey were limited to silicon Apple Macs, will Intel Mac owners feel left behind again this fall? Thankfully, it doesn’t look like that will be the case this time around, with many major macOS 13 features delivering full functionality on both Intel and…
What’s New in tvOS 16 for Apple TV: Features and Improvements
While Apple TV was an afterthought during the WWDC 2022 keynote, there is indeed a new tvOS 16 update for all Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K models, with the first version beta released yesterday for developers. Below, we’ve rounded up several new features and improvements coming in the software update. An overview of new features in tvOS 16 for Apple TV:Multi-device connectivity: Apple…
Live coverage of the Apple WWDC 2022 event: iOS 16, macOS 13, MacBook Air, and more.
Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) begins today with the traditional keynote at 10:00 a.m. PT. We expect to see a number of announcements, including iOS 16, macOS 13, watchOS 9, and tvOS 16, though we don’t know what else we’ll see at the event. A redesigned MacBook Air tops the list of potential new hardware, but supply chain issues…
Apple faces backlash from users after dropping support for iPhone 7 from iOS 16
Apple is facing backlash from users after announcing that iOS 16, its next major iOS release due this fall, will not be supported by iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. iOS 16 will bring major changes and customization features to the lock screen, long-awaited changes to iMessage such as marking as unread and message edits, and much more. Users have long been asking Apple to…
The best feature of iPadOS 16 is limited to iPad M1s
Apple yesterday unveiled iPadOS 16, the latest version of the iOS operating system designed for the tablet form factor. iPadOS 16 has many features that are coming to iOS 16, but it also has a few iPad-specific updates. One of these new features is an updated multitasking system called Stage Manager, but many iPad users will never be able to try out Stage Manager because it just…
Hands-on with the new iOS 16 lock screen
iOS 16 introduces some major changes, including a total redesign of the iOS lock screen. The lock screen looks different, it’s more customizable, and it can do more than ever before, so we thought we’d do a quick hands-on video to give MacRumors readers a first look at the revamped lock screen. Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. The lock screen can be customized…
iOS 16 and watchOS 9 add support for medication tracking
With iOS 16 and watchOS 9, Apple is making it easier for users to track their medications. Medications, vitamins, and supplements can all be added to the Health app in iOS 16 for tracking purposes, and custom reminders to take medication can be set up. You can add your prescription medications to the Health app on iPhone via the new “Medications” category. You can find your…
#Handson #macOS #Ventura